Thursday 9 October 2008

Sunshine - Spaghetti - Semen - Skydiving - Orifice

Just sitting back with the sun warming my face I looked out to sea and sighed with pleasure. I rebelliously slurped a long piece of spaghetti, feeling the very end flick at it was sucked past my lips leaving a smattering of rich neapolitana sauce on my chin. A glance over at the extraordinarily attentive waiter who had been loitering with intent since bringing my meal, confirmed his intentions with a conspiratoral wink.
Hmm, a whole week of sunshine, glorious food, and a delightful array of swarthy local lotharios to have a fabulous flirt-fest with. I was in my element! Forget the action packed agenda I had planned for to take my mind off recent events. Scuba-diving, rock-climbing and skydiving, pursuits guaranteed to hold my focus, empty my thoughts and give me an adrenaline rush. Well, all good intentions.
Being handed my first achingly thirt-quenching drink as I stepped off the plane made something come alive in me, a little alcohol, the heat, the freedom! I brazenly caught my waiters eye again as I dabbed my napkin slowly around my mouth with intent.
I took a deep sip of my marguerita, ice-cold and fresh. A sudden movement on the parched ground below caught my eye, as my mind hesistated to make sense of something almost imperceptable yet tangible enough to make me stop.
The lizard scuttled across the hot stones and disappeared into a cool, dark orifice between the rocks.
That was it, the taste. The taste wasn't right. I looked at my glass, ran my slowly fingers around the salty rim.
Then I saw it, floating ominously on the surface.
Semen.

No comments: